Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles - Part 1 & a Freebie!

Our class has been reading a wonderful read aloud, The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards. I wasn't sure about this book as a read aloud at first, it's a bit longer than other read alouds I've done and it has no pictures. However, the no pictures part is also why I chose it. I wanted to end the year with a fun fantasy read aloud that really got my kids imaginations going. They've been told to pay attention to each characters description as we read because they will need it for a fun end of year project. We are also keeping a list of the characters and places in Whangdoodleland.

For homework last week students were asked to create their own Whangdoodle slippers. The Whangdoodle, you see, always wears a pair of slippers on his hind feet. These slippers change each year and he never knows what the next  pair will look like until he "grows" them. So my kiddos were asked to create the Whangdoodle's newest pair of slippers. Here is what they came up with:



I love how unique and individual each pair looks! This is just part one of our classroom transformation into Whangdoodleland! As we progress in the book we will do a variety of other activities, culminating in turning our classroom into Whangdoodleland! Children will draw and create "lifesize" characters from the book and create the setting of Whangdoodleland. This is something we are VERY excited about and I cannot wait to share the final product with you all! 

I wanted to end this post with a freebie! This an a quick Subtraction with Regrouping Classroom Hunt I created and we used last week in my classroom. The kids love getting to move around and search for the problems. I had some VERY good hiding places this time (the underside of our lampshade and tucked inside a tissue box were some favorites). The kids enjoyed it and I hope you do too! Click on the image below to go to my TPT store and grab this freebie! :)

Subtraction with Regrouping Hunt

Have a great weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment