Wednesday, August 8, 2012

New {School} Year Resolutions Linky Party

Being that school is just three weeks away (!!!) I decided it is the perfect time to link up with Amanda at Teaching Maddenness for a great new school year resolutions linky party! I actually did very well with my New Year's Resolutions last January, so I'm determined to stick to these new {school} year resolutions as well!



Resolution #1: Stay Organized! 
    I know I typically start off every year with this goal but never stick to it. This year I want to MAKE SURE I get as organized as possible. I plan to assign a certain task to each day (for example, every Tuesday after school I go through my desk/make sure its organized). I also want to make sure that when I make copies, I put an extra in each subject binder along with the unit plans so I'm ready to go the following year.

Resolution #2: Plan Ahead!
    I always have my full units planned out before I begin, including projects and assessments. However, this year my goal is to have yearly plans at a glance for every subject down to the week. In the past, I have tended to let a unit run too long and push the next thing back, which works until you get to May and still have so much to cover! This is especially true with science/social studies. So this year I've mapped out EVERYTHING and will do my best to stick with the plan!

Resolution #3: Do More At School/Less At Home
    I am one of those teachers who brings two-three bags full of stuff home to work on over the weekend and at least one bag daily. Part of the reason is I'm more comfortable working on my couch at home in some sweats but I think it starts to take its toll, bringing it all home. Instead I plan to use my time more wisely in school and stay after longer each day to get as much done AT school as I can.

Resolution #4: Stay Positive!
    I think it's very easy to get caught up in the negativity of others and I often find myself dwelling on things that upset or irritate me more than needed. This year I hope to let things go and not stress myself over the actions of others. And most importantly, not to let any negativity seep into my classroom. There were times last year when I'd find my mood carried into the classroom and the kiddos noticed. Not this year!!!

Resolution #5: Don't Take On As Much!
    I am the type of person that always gives in and helps others, no matter how overwhelmed I might already be. I think I just don't want to disappoint people, but then I end up stressed out because I am doing too much. This year, I'm going to worry less about pleasing everyone and think more about what is best for me and my students.

So there ya go! Those are my resolutions for this school year! What are yours? Link up with Teaching Maddenness and let us know!

1 comment: