Thursday, July 10, 2014

Throwback Thursday {July 10th}



Oh how I am enjoying summer! I stumbled across the image below on Pinterest and it perfectly sums up the things I love about summer, so I had to share it! 

Now, in attempt to get myself more involved with "blog life" over the summer I have decided to try and keep up with as many summertime linkys as I can. :) Hope from Shenanigans in Second is hosting a Throwback Thursday summer linky. Now, my blog doesn't have enough activity yet to really do a Throwback some justice, however, I decided to join up anyhow. This is a post back from 2012 when I first wrote about how much my kiddos LOVE to play Scoot. It explains how to play it and had a link to a freebie. Two years later and this game has lost none of its appeal within my classroom. I have created numerous new Scoot-style games for my kiddos since this post. I make my own game cards and use them as either a Scoot activity or a Classroom Hunt, where the kiddos search the room for the cards and then write the answers on their answer sheet. I'm posting a link to my Division Scoot/Classroom Hunt game that is listed on TPT and on sale right now for $1.50. This was actually one of my thirdies favorites this year and they enjoyed the different ways they were asked to think about division during this activity. Interested? Head on over to TPT and grab yourself a copy. Be the first to comment on this post and include your email and I will send it to you for free! 
Division Hunt!





SATURDAY, JUNE 2, 2012

Scoot!

One of my favorite activities to do with my students is Scoot! I didn't create this game... I found it on ProTeacher a while back and have been using it ever since! Here's how we play Scoot:

* Number students desks and put some sort of question on each desk.
(I bought some cheap little plastic traffic cones at the Dollar Store a while back and have them numbered, so when we want to play this game I just take them out and put one on each desk - so simple!)
* Print out a student worksheet with the same number of answer blocks as there are desks/questions
 (I have a generic template I created in Word and most of the time that is all I need! I just inserted a table into a Word document and numbered each box - done! Sometimes I will add to the boxes when I'm looking for something more specific in the answer, like in the example below.)
* Have each student pick a desk to start at. They solve the problem on the desk and put the answer in the corresponding number square on their worksheet. After a few moments, the teacher says "Scoot!" and the kids all move to the next desk and problem.
 (A little tip - I do make sure I put the number cones in number order as the kids go around the room - it is less confusing this way. Also, we practice simply scooting MULTIPLE times before we ever even try to play the game. I will admit the first couple times you are bound to get a child or two who will put their answer in the wrong box but if you play this a few times they catch on quick!)

That's it! We LOVE this game. I use it for reading to review different skills quite often. For example, when going over parts of speech, I will put a different word on each desk and the students must write whether it is a noun, verb, adjective, etc in the corresponding answer box. For math, the possibilities for this game are endless! I attached a copy of the Fraction of a Set Scoot we played during our fraction unit. I set it up so that there was a small pile of mixed coins on every desk. The students then scooted around the room figuring out the fraction of each coin in the set on their desk. This was a great way to review the different coins with my kiddos as well as practice fractions. At the end they used their fraction worksheets to figure out bonus problems I asked them, such as, "How much was desk #5 worth?" or "What was the quarter total for desk #9?" I know I've said it already, but I just love Scoot! The kids see it as a game, it is easy set up for the teacher, and a great way to assess kids on multiple items!

Click Here to download Fraction of a Set Scoot

(P.S. Being new to the blog world I have NO IDEA how to upload an image of my documents other than taking a picture. Any tip from fellow bloggers out there would be appreciated! Happy Bloggin'!)



No comments:

Post a Comment